Monday, April 23, 2012

Life of a Grad Student

I received a request to write a blog about life as a grad student from a friend and classmate; and I thought that was a great idea!

I've always enjoyed learning and being in a classroom, so in my undergraduate career I knew that getting my graduate degree was something I wanted to pursue one day. After I graduated, I had to make the decision to either find a job or pursue my graduate career full time. I've always known that I've wanted to move and work in the city, but I also knew that the timing was not right. With the passing of my father I wasn't quite ready to spread my wings and venture off to the city, so that told me it was the perfect opportunity to purse my Master's.

The College of Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln happened to have a great program that focused on advertising. I studied hard for the GRE the summer before my final semester of undergrad and applied. I was ecstatic when I was accepted! I started in January 2011.

I knew I wanted to get done in a year and a half, while most full time students finish full in 2 years, so I took on a heavy load of classes and summer classes. Although I was happy to be close to home and around my family and friends, I was also anxious for my big move to they city and to pursue my dreams in the world of advertising.

Miss Nebraska USA helped me balance this heavy work load with my graduate assistantship. Thanks to my trusty planner I've been able to maintain a competitive GPA and still stay active outside of school. I have to admit, without my planner, color coated pens, highlighters and post it notes, there is no way I would have been able to balance my schedule! You'll see a glimpse of my planner in the photo above (anyone who knows me well, knows this thing is my life!). 

One of the biggest things I learned from my year as Miss Nebraska USA was the importance of life balance. This means maintaining good relationships with friends and family, staying healthy through fitness and nutrition, giving back and doing well in your job and/or classes. It's simple things that have helped me maintain this balance. For example, this may sound silly, but I'll write myself notes to "Call Renee," on a certain day. Or a goal for a week: "Give back or help someone out this week." Putting yourself on a work out plan and preparing meals before a week starts up are helpful tips in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Another huge tip, that was really hard for me, is asking for help from others. I'm sure you have friends and family that are willing to help with little things here and there. Don't be afraid to take them up on their offers! For me, writing things down is always a huge help. I can't get over the satisfaction of checking things of my many "lists."

Any other questions, just ask!

Keep smiling :)
-Belinda

1 comment:

  1. Wow =) love this post!

    Thank you so much for following me & following you back in return!
    My Lyfe ; My Story

    @MyLyfeMyStory 


    ReplyDelete