Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thanking the Vets



It was a rewarding day to say the least. With the our country's Independence Day right around the corner I was in the right place that was full of pride! I was honored to visit Veterans from World War II and many others who have helped defend our freedom at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Grand Island, Nebraska today. I made sure to tell every person I visited with how I appreciated what they have done for our country and that I'm not the only one who does.


Everyone was so kind and thankful that we remember them and appreciate all they have done for our country. I went around and shook hands, took pictures, signed autograph cards and gave everyone a little 4th of July bear. It was great to hear all of the stories these men and women have.


Visiting with the Veterans was very special to me, because I would not be hear if it wasn't for the military! My mom and dad met in the military and are both Veterans. My grandfather is also a Veteran and goes to the VA in Grand Island, as did my dad.


It was a memorable experience at the VA in Grand Island that truly touched my heart. Not only did they welcome me with gorgeous red roses, but I was overwhelmed with compliments and thank yous, when I was honored to be meeting and thanking them! Tommy Vasser of Omaha, a Navy veteran, write a wonderful poem. That was the first poem anyone had ever wrote for me; let alone about me! He was so kind to read and give the poem to me.

Tommy reading the poem her wrote to me.


Veterans are often times forgotten about, especially when we have men and women fighting over seas right now. But we wouldn't be here today, and have the freedoms we do, if it wasn't for Veterans. If you can, I ask you all to reach out to Veterans and let them know how much you truly appreciate all they have been through.

You can check out the newspaper article that was in the Grand Island Independent here.

Yours truly,
Belinda Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment